Goal 4 – Quality Education

In Nigeria, primary school enrolment in Nigeria has increased in recent years, but that net attendance is only about 70 per cent.

Nigeria still has 10.5 million out-of-school children – the world’s highest number, and 60 per cent of those children are in the northern region.

The national literacy rate in Nigeria at 65.1%.Lesser girls constituting 48.1% of all enrolment are in primary schools compared to the remaining 51.9% for boys.59.3% female literacy rate for Nigerians between 15 and 24 years old.

Achieving inclusive and quality education for all reaffirms the belief that education is one of the most powerful and proven vehicles for sustainable development. This goal ensures that all girls and boys complete free primary and secondary schooling by 2030. It also aims to provide equal access to affordable vocational training, to eliminate gender and wealth disparities, and achieve universal access to a quality higher education.

Facts and figures

91%

Enrollment in primary education in developing countries has reached 91 percent.

70%

Primary school enrolment in Nigeria has increased in recent years, but net attendance is only about 70 per cent.

10 million

Still, about 10.5 million children are out-of-school – the world’s highest number, and 60 per cent of those children are in the northern region.

2 in 5

In Nigeria, two in five girls are not of enroled in primary schools compared to the remaining 1 in 2 for boys.

60%

More than half of all out-of-school children of primary school age live in conflict-affected areas.

65.1%

Have basic literacy skills and 59.3% of this number are females between 15 and 24 years old.
 
UN Sustainable Development Goals
Goal 1 No Poverty
Goal 2 Zero Hunger
Goal 3 Good Health and Well Being
Goal 4 Quality Education
Goal 5 Gender Equality
Goal 6 Clean Water and Sanitation
Goal 7 Affordable and Clean Energy
Goal 8 Decent Work and Economic Growth
Goal 9 Industry Innovation and Infrastructure
Goal 10 Reduced Inequalities
Goal 11 Sustainable Cities And Communities
Goal 12 Responsible Consumption and Production
Goal 13 Climate Action
Goal 14 Life Below Water
Goal 15 Live on Land
Goal 16 Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
Goal 17 Partnership For The Goals
 

Goals in action